Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Quiet Winter

After all the merrymaking during Christmas, I often appreciate the softness and quiet of January.  The decorations are put away and all is laid bare, awaiting a fresh start or perspective.  This is a good time to purge those 'things' that are cluttering our homes and make new plans.  Truthfully, these steps can take me a while.  I look around at the emptied rooms and think - what next?  'Life' in our family takes priority and freshening up our home may get put on the back burner.
In the meantime I soak in the quiet atmosphere...

After our Christmas tree was taken away, this corner of the living room has returned to a place for contemplation and dreaming...
(these roses still survive since Christmas dinner!)

The cage doll received a shawl to keep her warm and nearby a bowl of yarn, crochet thread and pretty bits remind me to get creative.

It's a restful spot with the bright sunlight reflected off the snow shining through the window...

I kept a little bit of winter wonderland left in another corner:

The crocheted stars were moved here from our Master bedroom to adorn this arched window.  My little girl's ballerina finally got her headpiece (after Christmas, I must admit):

This Santos looks like a winter queen with her white shawl and soft skirt:

Our fireplace mantel is laid bare, other than this lingering white horse.  His adornments were toned down to a simple crochet star and vintage lace trim:

It's a serene time, yet with promises ahead.  Hope you're staying warm and making the most of January!

I'm joining in at these great parties:
Grey Dey Thursdey
Be Inspired Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious Friday
Blissful Whites Wednesday

21 comments:

Victoria said...

Everything is so gorgeous Susan! Your little thinking spot is lovely:) I agree, the decorations are so exciting over the Christmas season but it's always refreshing to take them down. I never fully put everything back that I had put away for decorations so everything always looks nice and fresh...room for new nick nacks!!!

HWIT BLOGG said...

So many lovely things!
Yes, now we are heading for spring in a couple of months, I´m longing for the light and all springflowers now...
Love Titti

It's me said...

O so nice.....love this corner in your home...love Ria...x !

Junkchiccottage said...

Susan,
So pretty and serene. Love this corner.
Kris

Paola T. said...

Hi Susan, I get to you from the link party of Michelle Louise. You have a wonderful blog, I love your photos, your home, the colors you've chosen, your creations: I love everything I have seen! A hug from Italy. Paola from http://ilpaeseincantato.blogspot.it/

Donna said...

You always create the most beautiful vignettes, Susan! I love all of your wintery whites with icy blues mixed in. I too love to purge this time of year, it's all too easy for me to accumulate "stuff"! Stay warm!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh, I love that Santos, Susan, with her crown and shawl. She looks like a Winter Queen. : ) I find I am slow in getting motivated now that the holidays are over or perhaps it is just my body telling me to take a break. At any rate, I am moving along slowly. I have a few things planned for projects and things to do around our home, but I'm not feeling any rush to get them done.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your serene corner looks so inviting at a time like this. We are all so worn out by Christmas and it's just nice to sit with no clutter, less color and quietness!! I love your dolls, they are such a pretty addition to your space!

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

Seems as though you have captured the remainder of winter in your wonderful vignettes. I specially love the horse.
Visiting from Common Ground today.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Mom E. said...

So serene and calm feeling...
beautiful whites and greys.
Love the ballerina doll. So sweet!
Hugs,
Betsy

Mom E. said...

So serene and calm feeling...
beautiful whites and greys.
Love the ballerina doll. So sweet!
Hugs,
Betsy

Bente said...

Love that beautiful corner. Your decorations are gorgeous, my friend.

Hugs from here

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I love the fresh start January gives us too! No matter what time of year though your home is always stunning!

Robin Johnson said...

I like this time of the year also after all the craziness of the holidays. I've been adding things back in slowly here and there and don't seem to be in any sort of a rush to get it done.

Simply Me said...

Love your pillows on the stool, so cute!! lovely fabrics..

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Such a beautiful spot to dream in January. Love the soft colors and handmade beauty!
Have a wonderful day,
Lin

Rhonda said...

I adore your soft and dreamy vignettes. Especially your bowl of inpiration. I hope your New Year brings much happiness.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Susan, your gorgeous vignettes are always so serene and sweet. This spot is just gorgeous.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Unknown said...

i love the "cleaner" palette once xmas treasures are safely packed away....don't you? it allows us to "refresh"...relax a bit...and take in the calm before spring's arrival. we have much to do mon amie before the "big event!" ;);)

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

So pretty!!! Will this winter ever end....I sure hope so!! All the best,Chrissy

Seawashed said...

Love your white horse and the quiet peace of your home. xxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...