Monday, September 16, 2013

PARIS! Part 1

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous trip to Paris.  We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in that romantic city where we honeymooned.  Gosh, was it was wonderful to be back in that beautiful place where we began our marriage!

Here I am almost fresh off the plane...it was sunny that day, and we forced ourselves to walk around and take in the glorious sights despite not sleeping on the plane.

Okay ladies, hold on to your hats.  THIS was the view from our hotel balcony on the Rue de Rivoli!
(to the left, the Tuileries garden and Louvre museum)

(and to the right....the Eiffel Tower!)

The following day after we arrived was a bit cloudy, but that didn't matter at all.  Clouds, rain...everything is glorious in Paris!

Handsome hubby at bridge over the Seine river

It was chilly in Paris.  I needed this scarf!

The city was celebrating the 850th anniversary of the Notre Dame cathedral.  We were able to take this photo from a stadium-type platform that was erected in front:


Here is the back of Notre Dame.


There's an unfortunate trend going on with the Paris bridges.  Lovers write their names on a padlock, chain it to a bridge and throw the key into the Seine.  It is a romantic gesture, but oh those locks are an eyesore compared to the beauty that surrounds!  We wished the friendly Parisians taking our photo would have cropped that part out.  Oh well...C'est la vie!

It rained this day, so it was a perfect time to stroll around the Cluny museum.  It contains the most wonderful Catholic art from the middle ages.  Here is a small screen sculpted in ivory:

Beautiful statue of our Blessed Mother and Infant Jesus:

After visiting the museum, we had a late lunch here at this delightful brasserie on the Isle of St. Louis:

The wet pavement makes Paris even more romantic, don't you think?  Here is the Hotel de Ville:

The following day I dragged my husband to a weekday flea market in the Bastille area.  I'm sure the weekend markets are much better, but this was quite a treat!  Unfortunately a rain shower forced some vendors to pack up early, but I got a few finds.  Can't wipe that smile off my face!

The Parisians really do know how to display flowers at a shop...

Another food/flower market outside the beautiful Madeleine church:

Some friendly Americans took our photo at the Tuileries gardens.  Our hotel was up off to the left, over my husband's right shoulder.  I still can't get over our view of these gardens below!  

Au revoir for now, friends!  I'll post about the 2nd half of our trip later, which includes a visit to the Eiffel tower!

Sharing with:
Grey Dey Thursdey

17 comments:

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Wow, what a view! What a fabulous anniversary trip, congratulations!!

Vintage Market Place said...

wow susan lucky gal!
What a wonderful trip away.
with the rain, oh wonderful dreams of paris.
Amy

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

OH MY GOSH...what a wonderful post!!! I hope to get there one day and this post has reminded me how badly I want it!!! xo

June said...

How wonderful Susan! Your trip looks like a dream come true. I loved every beautiful photo!

Connie said...

Happy Anniversary, these photos are wonderful and I am so happy for you. Thanks for letting this old gal tag along on your second honeymoon :)
Paris . . . only in my dreams :)
I'm looking forward to your next post.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Rhonda said...

Isn't it all so wonderful? I even thought the locks on the bridges were charming. Notre Dame was right in the middle of renovation and super crowded that day I was there.

Wonderful images from our dream city they call Paris. You look so happy!!

Blondie's Journal said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great way to celebrate, Susan. I enjoyed each and every picture. Rain or shine, Paris is beautiful!

XO,
Jane

chateau chic said...

What a fabulous way to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary!!
Mary Alice

Junkchiccottage said...

Wow what a wonderful romantic way to spend your 10th anniversary. How beautiful. Loved seeing the city and the beautiful architecture. Thanks for sharing.
Kris

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a wonderful trip! A flea market in Paris? I would be smiling too!

It's me said...

Wowww Susanne...Paris is wonderful !!...like your pictures !!....looking foward to your second Paris post....love Ria...x !

Victoria said...

Ohhhhh you lucky lucky girl!!! How exciting! I've never been but, of course, would jump at the chance to. Happy 10th anniversary and can't wait to see Part Deux:)

Sandi said...

What a dream!! I just thought yesterday that I hadn't seen a post from you for awhile. Now I know why!! You were in Paris living it up. lol!! CONGRATS!!

Donna said...

Welcome home, Susan! I am so happy that you and handsome hubby were able to celebrate your anniversary in Paris! I am drooling over your wonderful photos, what a view from your room! I totally agree about those locks, they are an eyesore! One of the few photos that hubby and I had taken together on our last trip there was in the same spot as you two are on. Same thing, the photographer didn't crop out those darn locks! Can't wait to hear more about your tres magnifique adventure!!

Au revoir!

Anne said...

Happy Anniversary Susan! What an amazing trip!Beautiful photos of France and of you and your husband!
xx
Anne

Anne said...

Happy Anniversary Susan! What an amazing trip!Beautiful photos of France and of you and your husband!
xx
Anne

MONSIEUR LE CHAT ET MOI said...

It's always a pleasure to me (I'm French nd living in PARIS) to see how people feel their trip in my country : such a different regard from us who are so use to see those things....

xoxo from PARIS

Joëlle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...