Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tilda's World in My World

I am officially enamored with crafting books I just discovered by Tone Finnanger.  Hailing from Norway, she designs the most delightful creations.  Imagine a serene, Nordic, vintage background (think Jeanne D'Arc Living) with whimsical pops of color to stimulate the senses! 

Using patterns from Ms. Finnanger's books, I've created this doll, play cakes and ice cream cones for my daughter:

I've been spending the last two weeks poring over the 2 craft books I bought.  Here's a peek inside Sew Sunny Homestyle:

The play cakes and ice cream cones are found in the same book:


There are various patterns in the book for the lovely angel doll.  Although the doll I made hasn't quite earned her wings yet (er...they haven't made it to the sewing machine yet), it was fashioned after this lovely lady.  Her dress is called the 'Jane Austen-inspired dress'.  Swoon!:


My rendition of the doll got a collar using the same shower curtain fabric I used throughout our daughter's room (yes - there's still some fabric left!):

The blue striped cakes I made match a pillow in her room, too:

The cakes and ice cream took a bit of time to make, I won't 'sugar-coat' it.  But our little girl loves them for her tea parties!
 
After giddily perusing my new craft books, I happened to be revisiting one of my Jeanne D'Arc Living issues from last Spring.  There were the cutest articles about children's rooms, and what did my little eye spy?  You guessed it - a similar angel doll and cakes/ice cream!  I took photos of my issue here:
Jeanne D'Arc Living magazine - Spring 2011

Jeanne D'Arc Living magazine - Spring 2011

I also ordered Ms. Finnanger's book 'Tilda's Winter Ideas', which contains more amazing projects to tackle. 
Here's some peeks from that book.  See what I mean about a serene JDL background infused with color?:

I can't wait for next Christmas!

heavenly blues!

So now you will understand if I am completely enamored with Tilda's World (Ms. Finnanger's product line).
The doll I made doesn't have a mouth (per instructions), but I bet she's smiling inside.
Should I give her that mouth or shall her expression remain a mystery? 

Sharing with these parties:
Air your laundry Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Pink Saturday

34 comments:

Vintage Market Place said...

OH Susuan, I knew it looked familiar!
I own that book! LOL
I have never had the time to sit and actually make anything out of it but I love it! Now could you make mine for me, LOL
Maybe with some time this Spring I will get to finally making one, cause it is just so adorable I can't stop thinking about it now.
Amy

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Those books look wonderful. How fun, pretty and whimsical! Thanks for sharing your darling projects.

It's me said...

What a great books !!!...love from me...xxx..

andrea@townandprairie said...

Very sweet! My daughter has some play-food cupckaes similar to those-- all fancied up with ribbons and roses!

Eliana said...

Your blog is the sweetest I've found lately. Congrats!
Hugs

Cape Cod Washashore said...

What cheerful heirloom creations for your daughter! I love the colors and photos in your craft book. They'd inspire me for days on end!

Carole said...

I love your new doll or should I say your lucky daughters? I wanted to thank you for the designers name, I googled it after your email and loved her site. So cheery and made me want to add a little color to my very white home.
x
Carole

Antigone said...

I have to order those books! Your little lady is so beautiful!!! and those cakes really do look good enough to eat! Thank You for sharing, and your daughter too, I'm not sure I'd have let my Mom take these treasures out of my room to photograph!

Anonymous said...

OMG your creations are amazing and the craft books you've shared are so dreamy. I will definitely be checking them out too.

xo,

Abby

All Things Chic 2 said...

Your such a good Mom , to make those precious items for your daughter...Love the magazine pics!!! Blessings Lori

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Your dolls and cakes and cones are amazing! Your little girl will love them, I'm sure!

~Shanon

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Susan, it's a little girl's dream, or even a big girl dream like me!!~ What a fabulous book, it's a confection for the eyes!!~ If only I had little girl's to make pretty things for. But I wouldn't give up my boy's for anything in the world though! So I'll just have to stop by and see the lovely things you make for your daughter.
Have a beautiful night.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Passionate for White said...

Awesome creations.... YOU should publish a book!!

ALISON said...

You are so right...Tilda is becoming one of my favourites too.There is another fab book of hers called TI
LDA'S STUDIO. .....MORE FAB IDEAS.Pop over and see my latest post ...get an idea of all the wonderful materials from her range.....ciao Alison

Denise Marie said...

Very, very sweet!

Unknown said...

Just adorable, Susan. A girl dream to behold.

Have a lovely PS weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

~Giveaway ends 3/15 ~

Unknown said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Susan! How absolutely charming! I can see why you were so inspired! My first time here (that's what I love about Pink Saturday). I'll definitely be back!

Cheers!
Tina (Your newest follower!)

J.Rylie.C said...

So pretty! Come link with me with my Color Connection meme.

Broken Leg with a bit of pink. Have a great weekend.

Marti McClure said...

Susan, The books are a wonderful inspiration, and your pieces are fabulous! The doll is so sweet and the treats are just beautiful. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

HPS!


I know the book...have been in the hunt for it...


Gabriela

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What beautiful work you have done! Your doll is perfect the way she is. Such a lovely dress! The books are so wonderfully staged. Love the pages you show here.

LV said...

Crafting is not my thing, but I do enjoy seeing what others create.

Karin said...

Beautiful....Happy Pink Saturday!

m.lisa said...

okay those delightful creations cannot get any cuter! they turned out perfect..so whimsical, pretty and feminine..you are so talented dear lady..
much love
m

Monica said...

Love Tilda books! That one is on my wish list!
Your doll is adorable, and I definitely prefer her as she is. Can't wait to see if you make more.
xo

Monica said...

Love Tilda books! That one is on my wish list!
Your doll is adorable, and I definitely prefer her as she is. Can't wait to see if you make more.
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan!
Yes, It's feature day, and Michelle is so sweet!

So is your post, darling creations.
Thanks for your visit.

Ciao Bella
Creative Carmelina

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

You and me girl! I too am loving these books. I have never heard of either. The pages you've shown have me drolling for more. Your creations are just darling. Makes me almost wish my kids were little again. I said, almost. lol! I do have grandies, but then do I really want to start that? Eight going on nine, I think not. I bet your little one just loves her sweet gifts made by mom!
Hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

Soooo sweet! I'm bookmarking this for my baby girl!

Unknown said...

sweat, sweat, sweat... i work in Kindergarden and wen i go back to work i m sure i'll sew something like thid for kids to play in their little kitchen.

Heather said...

Oh! She is SO sweet, and love those little cakes! I have quite the soft spot for Nordic design, especially to the more folky aspect, and so thank you for pointing me in the direction of these books! They look like fun, and I love a good doll making challenge :)

Nancy Lee said...

I just saw your Blogs With a View feature in Somerset Life. I spied the Tilda doll and knew I found another Tilda fan!
Lovely work on your play foods! I agree none of the projects are quite as easy as they look...
I just made a beach lady who has a stitching tote. It was featured in a magazine available in England, but not here.
Pop on to over my blog to have a look at her. I am a bit proud of her. I have all of Tone Finnanager's books. There is another one due out in November, I think it will be called Tilda's Winter Dreams. Love your blog!

Sarah said...

What a lucky little girl to have you as her mom. The sweet doll is sheer delight. I like her without lips. She is definitely smiling! ~ Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, found you through Somerset Life and glad I did. As I was browsing around your site I saw your post on Tilde - I love this brand as well and will order the books right away - I have been trying to order their paper products online but have not managed to find a source in the US or Canada - any luck on your end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...