Monday, June 1, 2015

Trunk Makeover with MMS Milk Paint, White Lilacs and First Communion

Happy June!  I can't believe how fast May flew by.  It's been busy here.  For starters, I've been having fun re-stocking my Etsy shop with vintage treasures and handmade pieces.  The creative muse is on overdrive!  Also, my family had a fun expedition to the local flea market and I found something I've long been searching for - a vintage wood trunk.  Actually, my husband spotted it when we were about to leave.  I wanted the trunk to be something we both liked, and this one fit all our criteria.  It is definitely old, well-made of solid wood, large, and has a flat top to double as a coffee table and storage.




I painted the trunk using Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint for the first time.  It came out just as I had envisioned with a nice chippy patina.  I ended up mixing equal parts Shutter Gray with Grain Sack to get a light grayish color.  Love it!

Here is a photo of the trunk prior to painting.  I may replace those dirty old rope handles with something new eventually:


Although the wood was definitely worn down, I discovered as I painted that I did need to sand some patchy areas that still had a bit of glossy sheen.  The milk paint had fallen right off of those areas once it dried.  But the second coat of milk paint stayed after I sanded.


Here are some more lilacs to share with you...bunches of the white variety in our dining room:



They smelled wonderful while they lasted!

Another fun outing our family had this May was to a book sale at the library.  I got some wonderful vintage books there and this one is my favorite - a vintage Charles Dickens' children's book!
I adore the sweet cover:

Inside are the most delightful illustrations as well:




Speaking of sweet....the best news to share is that our daughter received her First Communion in May!  Tears welled as I watched her receive Jesus for the first time in the Sacrament of Eucharist.   My heart just...swelled.  I love that girl.



Sharing with:
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious Friday
Sundays at Home with Thoughts from Alice
Furniture Friday Feature with Miss Mustard Seed

13 comments:

Bente said...

Wow, I love that trunk. You made it perfect. The lilacs are gorgeous and so is your daughter.
Hugs from here

White Lace and Promises said...

Seeing this makes me so sad that I got rid of my old painted trunk. Love the gray and white. The little princess is a doll!

Junkchiccottage said...

Hi Susan,
So sweet the pic of your daughter making her 1st communion. She is so cute. Love the trunk that is a fabulous re love.
Kris

Donna said...

Congrats on your daughter's first communion, Susan! I bet you are beyond proud! What a cute girl she is:) Love your trunk, it looks so much better after you gave it your magic touch! And I can almost smell your lilacs from here!!

Unknown said...

Oh MY...she looked SO adorable....congratulations to her. How very special! (LOVE the trunk! So happy you found what you both were looking for! I adore the color you chose. It's absolutely gorge in your lovely home! )

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

She looks so beautiful (and just like you)!! Congrats!
Love the new trunk, looks perfect in your room!
Happy June!!

Abby's Paperie Garden said...

Your color choice transformed into an even more beautiful piece! Sweet girl, congrats on her first communion.

Rhonda said...

Your trunk is PERFECT. I love it. It sounds as if you've been having a good time! That's a good thing and time flies when it's happening.

As always your posts are simply beautiful. xxx Rhonda

Unknown said...

This trunk looks amazing and I also love decorating with freshly cut lilacs...their scent always reminds me of spring. I am happy that I found your blog through the Miss Mustard Seed site. Thanks for sharing this project.
Dorene ~ Seasonal Chapters

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Your trunk looks great and really goes well in that room. also like the way
you assessorized the top, and also love love love your centerpc. on your table. So pretty. In fact, I am gonna send a link to my daughter as she is
just getting into farmhouse style and they just bought a new table and chairs
for their new home and she isn't sure what to do as a centerpc. yet, and
think yours looks great and that she would like it too.
Your lil girl is darling and looks so pretty in all that white....and what
a proud moment for you as her MOM.
Think I have visited before but it has been awhile, but glad I came by.
Blessings, Nellie

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

First communions are so special and your daughter looks very pretty. One of my girls wore an almost identical dress to your daughters... except that was about 11 years ago. Where does the time go?
Loved this post. The trunk is just so lovely and the perfect colour for your home... in fact, it would be perfect for my home too :) Have just pinned the trunk to our Shabbilicious Pinterest board and we look forward to featuring you on Shabbilicious Friday this week.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Unknown said...

That trunk turned out gorgeous ! ( almost - but not quite - as gorgeous as your little girl ! )
xox

Danielle said...

Love how the trunk came out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...