Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summer Flea Market Delights

Friends, I do hope you are having a wonderful summer.  My children are home with me full time these months and we are enjoying each day.  I got to sneak away early Sunday morning for a trip to the flea market.  I hadn't been since early May and was getting the itch!

It was a beautiful morning with lots of treasures to be found, such as these...

I don't usually buy old photos, but I really liked the patina and elegance of these....dapper gentlemen, somber couple and two sisters...  The drawer behind them was a great find, too:

I'm loving this ironstone pitcher, which I plan to sell, but not sure if I can part with it:

These embroidered vintage towels are gorgeous, and came from a sweet vendor named Jan who I met last year.  Jan has the greatest eye for vintage treasures and is just charming.  Not to mention Jan wears the cutest outfits.  :)  It was great chatting with you Jan!

I also got these old balusters with the most perfect patina from Jan.


I think I was truly gasping at their hint of light blue paint...sigh...


A set of monogrammed forks were a lovely find as well:


One can never have too many cigar boxes for storage, either:


On another trip to my local thrift shop I found this pretty blue floral covered dish.  Vintage blue floral china just seems to scream my name when I'm out shopping:



Lastly, I simply have to recommend a wonderful book I recently read, called "The Nesting Place" by blogger Myquillyn Smith.  It is truly a warm and encouraging book for all of us DIY-type bloggers that want to make our houses more like homes for our family.  It is realistic and full of wonderful advice and real-life experiences.  It is not a 'decorating' book in the sense that it gives tips on vignettes and such, but more like an inspirational book on so many levels.  Kudos to Myquillyn!



She has inspired me to add more whimsy and quirkiness to our home, especially to put smiles on my children's faces.  That's how this birthday crown for my daughter ended up in this photo.  Have fun with your home!

Sharing at these lovely parties:
Feathered Nest Friday
Shabbilicious Friday

16 comments:

Rhonda said...

I was "just" thinking about you! Viola, your post appeared.

Ooh, such great treasures you found and that mirror, the last image, is to die for.

Anonymous said...

I love all your trifty finds. And the towels are absolutely gorgeous! I also collect vintage towels and linens. Hugs, Cristina

Okio B Designs said...

You found some lovely treasures! I'm looking forward to this weekend so I can hit some sales too! Come on over when you have a chance, I'm having a giveaway!

Jeanine

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love those linens, Susan! I'm hoping to find some this year at yard and estate sales to keep some on hand for creating with. I also need to find some lace and doilies.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Susan!
Love your flea finds!
I saw your kitchen on FB the other day (I would know that floor anywhere), a post from Fifi, so exciting!

Seawashed said...

Lovely vintage white towels. I think the 'K' is for me :)

Thank you for the book recommendation because I was considering this one.

Thank you for your comments on my studio. I am listening to Marion Chants today...so peaceful.

Di@Cottage-Wishes said...

I love all your finds! We do like the same things, I would keep that pitcher it is lovely and those spindles love, love. Di@Cottage-Wishes

chateau chic said...

You have a great eye when it comes to finding wonderful treasures! Love the whimsy and fun with the sweet birthday crown.
Mary Alice

Heaven's Walk said...

Such beautiful finds! I've been sorting through many vintage family photos (dating back to the 1800s)that are just amazing. I love discovering why I am who I am, and why I love the things I do - all through the people and stories behind the photos who are my family. :)

xoxo laurie

Bente said...

Oh, so many treasures you found. Love it all.

Hugs from here

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

Wonderful finds, Susan, and I love your advice to add some fun into our decorating. LOVE the little crown! :)
Happy weekend!
xoxo,
Lin

Donna said...

What great finds, Susan! I love the balusters, and those linen towels are so pretty! You have a great eye for finding treasures! Enjoy the rest of your summer:)

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

What wonderful finds! I really love the balusters, perfect patina indeed!

I love the "adding" whimsy idea, too. What a fun book that sounds like.

~Shanon

Unknown said...

Hi Susan!Really adorable post. I love each pictures which shows unique designs and it is good to have these type of decorations for the home.
home-idea

Heather said...

Oooh, what great finds! I love old photographs....these are great ones too! That book sounds really intriguing. I think I'm raising a little decorator too, I bet even my Audrey would love it!~

Hope you're having a great summer!
heather

Pearl Maple said...

Darling finds you have on show there, the change of seasons is such a delightful time of year

Living down under at the moment and missing fall in MA...

my blog moved to www.pearlmaple.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...