Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our Daughter's Room and the Versatililty of a Shower Curtain

Hello friends!  I do hope you enjoyed your weekends and took time to honor Memorial Day.  We had lots of sunshine here - finally!  As White Wednesday is upon us, I thought I'd finally post about our daughter's room.  It's been long overdue after giving you sneak peaks here and here.
Last year I went to town decorating her room.  Lots of pillows were made, as well as other embellishments.  I loved personalizing it for our sweet girl.  This year I've added ballet accents. 
So here's a tour...Let me start by saying this room is TINY.  Some people's closets are bigger than our girl's room.  But that's okay, because she's little, too.

As you enter the room, you see one wall has a window and two built-in closets made by the original homeowner.  They're great for storage.  However when we upgraded our girl's crib to a vintage iron twin bed (scored on craigslist!), we realized the 2nd closet's door must be removed.  We wouldn't be able to open it with the bed there, so I replaced the door with lace curtains.

tight squeeze at foot of bed!
 Above the window hangs a banner I made for her birthday last summer.




Ballet-inspired trophy...

I found 3 lovely old ballet prints at a local flea market this weekend, and propped them on her shelf along with some vintage ballet slippers:


They coordinate with the ballet art I made on the opposite wall:

Her princess bed, with Simply Shabby Chic duvet cover...

Several years ago, I purchased a shower curtain from HomeGoods (or TJ Maxx) because I loved the pattern on the cotton fabric.  I held onto it until I had a perfect room to showcase this fabric.  I was able to use the entire shower curtain to make this pillow with pom-pom trim...
(Memeire Rose's vintage doll)
...and the background for this framed inspiration board...

...this quilted throw at the foot of her bed...

...heart pillow...

...and the fabric behind this chicken-wired cabinet door.

One shower curtain goes a long way!!!

This vintage doll crib was a Brimfield find from two years ago.  I made cushions to keep her dolls comfy:
 
Over our little girl's door hangs fancy dresses for play, and her handmade tote for ballet class:

I had fun making these pillows to cozy up on.  They lie atop her basket of dress-up fun...


Our little girl loves the room, and I know she loves her quilt!


Hope you enjoyed the tour.  Come back again to visit!

I'll be linking this post with Beverly's Pink Saturday, too.

26 comments:

Marilyn said...

Sweetness and goodness! ♥♫

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

The room set up looks so similar to my daughters room that we are in the process of redoing. Looks fabulous!

Blondie's Journal said...

What a little doll she is and she deserves a beautiful room! I love the ballet theme, and especially the pretty comforter and the skirt around the window. You did a great job, Susan, it's fit for a princess!

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

...LOVE the lace as the closet door much better!
and that window seat??
to die for!!
as are all your special touches she will grow to love and appreciate as she grows:)
great use with one shower curtain!!
xo, Rosemary

Pamela said...

OH Susan i love this room!!! I am crazy for ballet how i envy you getting to decorate a little girls room!!!
That material is gorgeous..what a fantastic idea using it to make all these beautiful things!
Lovely job!!

Vintage Market Place said...

What a great little room!
I would have loved this room as a child.
So lush and comfy with fabrics
I just love all of the pillows.
what a cutie!
Amy

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

what a beautiful room ... and I love all you did with the shower curtain. I have used them for regular curtains too.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Very pretty - the room and the girl :-) Great idea to use the shower curtain to its fullest!

Anonymous said...

So so pretty!!! My daughter is 9 and refuses anything girly, pink, frilly in her bedroom or attire, ugh!

xo,

Abby

High Street Cottage said...

Oh my Goodness, you really made that shower curtain work for you! Do you know, I still have fabric I've been saving for "one day". That print is amazing by the way, and her room is perfect for a Princess. Wonderful job, xxx

Atticmag said...

Such sweet touches for a little one. You did a great job with it! Jane

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I've had the pleasure to meet your little princess and this room fits her perfectly!!!

You did a beautiful job!

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Now that is the Sweetest Room ~ Fit for a Princess & Ballerina's!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

It's so much fun to fix up a little girls room! You've done a beautiful job. I love all the little touches with your saved up fabric. Love the little cupboard. Happy WW!

shabbyfufu said...

First....thank you for the lovely compliment Susan, much appreciated:-)

Now....I love what you have done with the room! My youngest (who is now 24!) was a ballet dancer all of her life and trained for a career, but now is doing something else. Reminds me a little of her childhood room & collections:-).

xo,
Janet

Faded Charm said...

Such a sweet Ballet inspired room. My daughter is a bit older, but she loves dancing and has ballet items throughout her room also.

Very pretty!

xoxo
Kathleen

Sandi said...

Such a sweet room you have made for your sweet girl. Love all your special touches!
I purchased two shabby shower curtains this past weekend at Target to use as curtains to my bedroom closet. Love them!!
Blessings~

Unknown said...

your beautiful little girl must be thrilled. Her bedroom is majical, I adore everything about it!

sweet...
Karen

saltbox
treasures
said...

Oh, I so enjoyed your tour. Your daughter's room is just so precious, and she is beautiful! Sometimes shower curtains have great fabrics. I repurpose them too :).
Have a wonderful day!
~ Julie

Holly said...

So precious! It's every little (and big) girl's dream.
Happy Pink Saturday!

Lui said...

What an inspiring burst of creative power! ;-) More! More!

genie said...

Trust me...I will be beck. I love your blog, and this post is absolutely precious. I especially like the little banner you made. I made one to it for my little granddaughter and it is one of the favorite things I have ever made her. There is something about the little banners in girls’ rooms which is so feminine and whimsical. All of your picture are precious with the one in the hammock being my favorite of all. HPS.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh, your daughter is so beautiful and her room is so gorgeous--She and the room both look like they should be in a magazine!!! WOW!
Happy Pink Saturday!
XO
Cindy

Tami @ Creative girl Vintage said...

Susan...oh my goodness I can't believe this is my first visit to your blog. It is so amazing!! I have to follow & thank you for your visit to my blog too!
Your daughter's room is so perfect!! Every little detail is so thought out. Love it!
Happy pink Saturday..xo Tami

The French Hutch said...

Such attention to details made your daughter's room adorable. I love the prints and lace curtains and especially the throw at the foot of the bed. Your a very clever mommy, your daughter is very blessed.....Visiting over from Pink Saturday!

~Emily
The French Hutch

mypinkprettiesaboutme said...

What a doll. I'm sure she is going to love that room forever. How lucky for her that Mommy wanted her to have a special beautiful place of her own. I just wish I still had a little one to fuss over too.

Stay in the pink

LL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...