Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tarnish and Texture

Along with yarn, I think the winter season is a great time to display tarnished silver and other interesting textures.  I've been playing with various patinas and textures in our home lately. 

Unpolished silver-plated bowls filled with creamy sola flowers on the dining room buffet...


I've kept the white faux fur from Christmas on this buffet, as it continues a warm wintery feel.  Adding tarnished silver items provides subdued sheen.  The Victorian candlesticks were a wedding gift and came from England.  I used to polish them more often, but now I like their tarnished look.

An assortment of pleasing items on this old tray:

Can you believe these adorable little porcelain vases came from my local dollar store?  3 dollars worth of cheerfulness.  I can't wait to put pink little flowers in them for Valentine's day & spring time.

On the table, here's an old mold showcasing paper doilies, a lovely heart made by dear Michelle, and perfectly vintage jewelry tins from Sandi's booth.

I've put floral vase pebbles under the mini-cloches in our living room.  Their creamy and smooth texture enhances the serenity of the angel wings.

Often when I'm designing a new piece for my Etsy store, I'll create a 'practice' version.  This way the products are home-tested (that's my rationale for keeping one for myself).
This pillow is a simpler version of one in the store now (which has a vintage monogram in the center): 


Have you seen these amazing crowns from Katie's Rose Cottage?  I just got this one and love it!  It's sitting pretty next to a crepe paper flower I made using a tutorial over at Dear Lillie's blog

Winter is the perfect time to showcase objects with texture & patina in our home.  Whether from tarnished silver, fabrics, vintage pieces, pebbles, crafted items or paper - the visual appeal will last until spring's natural elements abound.

Sharing this post with
White Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Show and Tell Friday

19 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my mon amie..where do i begin?? so may lovely touches and tresors...those "sola flowers" resemble delicious french vanilla ice cream scoops! i DO love the look of tarnished silver in the winter time. i can't BELIEVE you got those vases at the dollar store (heading there tomorrow!!):) do i spy one of my french grave markers? merci for showcasing it to perfection ! i am loving your French crown purchase! it is so divine. i must go on over to katie's rose cottage to have a look! phew..i thin that about covers it all! sigh...

Heaven's Walk said...

I'm in heaven looking at your photos, Susan! Soooo pretty! Love those sweet lace angel wings on the cloche. I've got those same vases,too! Isn't the Dollar Store great? lol!

xoxo laurie

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely way to display tarnished silver. Your vignettes are always so serene and beautiful.

xo, abby

Barbara Jean said...

sweet vignettes.

blessings
barbara jean

It's me said...

Like your little angel wings......do you sell them in your shop ????...i will try and look....seize the day...xxx...

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Oh my Susan, how pretty!
Your pillow reminds me of the pillows in my Nana's homes...I always wanted to take one home!

How did you like that fast melting snow!!

Victoria said...

Everything is so gorgeous, I just love the pillow you made! I wish I could sew like that!!!

I love tarnished silver also but my MIL hates it! She refuses to buy anything silver because she hates the fact that it tarnishes...funny!

We're not having much in the way of winter here in So Cal:(

Anne said...

I love all the colors and textures.I really LOVE that white next to your dark wood piece.

Dusty McRae said...

Just gorgeous!!!!

Robin Johnson said...

Your displays are so very pretty. I just love using silver this time of the year too. I like it really tarnished so I hardly ever polish them.

Renee said...

These vignettes are gorgeous. You have great style!

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Oh my goodness Susan thank you for stopping by! Your blog is beautiful!!

chateau chic said...

Susan, love how you've styled your buffet and shelf. Tarnished silver adds so much warmth!
Mary Alice

raggygirlvintage said...

You've pulled together some great little pieces for a lovely vignette!
Tracey

Rose :: FineCraftGuild.com said...

adorable details. matches my own mood exactly. the house is creamy white and silvery at present!

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Susan,

Oh my dear! You have such a gorgeous home with so many lovely treasures throughout. I love that crown too!!! It's always a pleasure dropping in on your beautiful blog, to see what you have been up to. Wishing you a most lovely Sunday!


Hugs,
Jessie

blessings said...

I love everything! Your blog is just stunning!! I'm so glad you stopped by so that I can now visit you.
Blessings... Polly

Michele @ {Primp} said...

beautiful--thanks for sharing!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So pretty~ Your vignettes are inspiring!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...