Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Dear City

Please join me in praying for my dear, beloved city of Boston.  Unthinkable, pure evil has descended upon a joyous annual occasion.

I spent ten years working just a block away from the Boston marathon finish line, at the Prudential tower.  I know those streets well, having walked them countless times.  For years my friends and I hosted marathon parties at our apartment on Commonwealth Ave. in Newton, directly on the route.  We cheered for the runners, laughed at the fun costumes some wore and had a giddy old time.  From there I've watched dear friends run the race, knowing how hard they had trained.  One year a group of us got to witness my college friend Heidi beaming with triumph just a block from the finish line.  They worked hard to compete, raise their arms and FINISH the most beloved marathon in the world.

Words cannot express how sad I am that this event has been shattered by evil.  It will never be the same.  I think of all my youthful years here as lost innocence.  We should be able to take our children to such a joyous event, not shield them from it.  

Please pray...and our city thanks you.  It is heartening to see the outpouring of support and love that arose from this ghastly attack.  Good will always conquer evil in the end.  Love is everlasting.
Keep running.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

so beautifully said mon amie. my heart is breaking with you....:(

Donna said...

How sad and so difficult to believe that there is so much evil out there. I am praying for all who have been touched by such a tragedy that should never have happened. It is just heartbreaking.

It's me said...

My prayers are for all thye people in Boston......love from me...xxx..

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Such a shock and so close to home for you. My heart is with you and all Bostonians. I am hearing more about the individual families affected by this tragedy today, and it saddens me so much. Such sobering times.

Blondie's Journal said...

You expressed yourself beautifully. And you are right, the marathon is forever changed. Rest assured we are praying for your beloved city and all of those affected by this tragedy...we are The UNITED States.

XO,
Jane

Heather said...

Beautiful post, Susan. hugs to you and your city. I keep thinking of this verse-- 'The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:5.' Wishing all much light and goodness.

Rhonda said...

A very sad time right now for Boston and our country. Evil lurks and it only brings me closer to my faith.

Sending you prayers and healing thoughts.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Isn't this just all so horrible Susan? Turning on the TV this morning, my family lives in Watertown and Waltham...they are safe, thank God.

Nancy Lee said...

This whole thing was so horrible. In our family, Boston is close to our hearts, my great Uncle was an Anglican priest in Dedham, and we used to visit in the summer. Prayers and hugs, always.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...