Sunday, December 11, 2016

Christmas 2016 - Dining Room

Happy Gaudete Sunday friends and welcome back to the blog!  I know it's been ages since I've posted, but better late than never for 2016.  I couldn't let the year go by without posting Christmas decor.  I just finished some updates to our dining room, and am ready to share.

First off....we sold our mahogany dining room furniture!  Table, chairs, buffet - all gone!  We sold them to some happy folks via Craigslist.  If you recall, our dining room used to look like this.

Here it is today:



Right now we have our kitchen table in here until we find a new dining table.  We're looking for an old farmhouse table, hopefully authentic and well-loved.  My husband reminds me not to 'settle' on it, so I'm patiently looking.  This cute vintage kitchen table functions fine in the meantime:


The 4 dining chairs were scored off Craigslist over a year ago, and I finally painted them this fall.  The color is Sea Breeze by Benjamin Moore.  I kept the same slipcovers from our former dining chairs, and they fit just fine!
Here's a close up of the back of a chair.  I made a simple decoration with upholstery webbing, a $1 reindeer ornament from ACMoore, and a plaid bow I found a Dollar Tree (3 for $1).  Easy!


Tucked behind the table you'll see a new-to-us settee.

(see that runner on table?  It's a $3 clearance valance from Homegoods!)


The settee was part of a parlor set I also found on Craigslist last month - one settee, two side chairs and one arm chair.  They've all been painted Sea Pearl, and the chairs are in the garage awaiting new upholstery.  I did find time to upholster this settee right after Thanksgiving.  I used a hemp sheet from Miss Mustard Seed for the seat and front.  I attempted to tuft the front, but it isn't perfect.  I also added a loveseat cushion I found on Amazon, which adds height and protects the hemp sheet from stains.


You may recognize the pillow on the settee - it's a Society 6 purchase from Miss Mustard Seed's watercolor collection!  She's so talented.



I thought the pillow went well with my paper mache rocking horse nearby.  And this year we put a real tree in here!  It sits atop a Craigslist carpenter trunk.  The trunk isn't too old but I loved the gray color and vintage feel (and storage for homeschool stuff!).  I also knitted a chunky tree skirt, inspired by Maria of Dreamy Whites.

Here's the view from another corner.  That huge wreath was a $5 thrift store find, and I raised my two gray shutters to hang alongside the window.  Now the window looks bigger and has more impact.

Back in the corner you see our white cabinet.  Here's a closer look:

I went with a soft white and sparkle theme here, with some touches of yarn creations.




Love this new ornament I found at Marshalls:



On the other side of the room stands our homeschool dresser.  It is packed to the brim with homeschool books and supplies inside, but I cleared off the top for Christmas!








Lastly, I added a few Christmas touches to our vintage shoe rack:









Hope you're enjoying your Advent season, friends.  I'll be back to share the living room soon.  Yesterday I finished a project in there that's been on my to-do list forever.  I 'German-smeared' our fireplace bricks!

9 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Welcome back, Susan~~~I missed you!

Your dining room is perfectly beautiful! The huge wreath and your tabletop. I love it. I hope you find the table of your dreams. SO many furniture companies are finally getting wind that we want a little unfinished and rustic--you will be surprised if you check them out.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Jane

Bente said...

Your home looks beautiful and cosy for christmas
Hugs from here

Junkchiccottage said...

Susan,
Your dining room looks beautiful. Love your knitted tree skirt. That is fabulous. I hope you find the perfect farmhouse table for your dining room. The hunt is on!!!! Good luck.
Hugs,
Kris

Unknown said...

Love...love...love every little detail mon amie! This is Farmhouse Xmas perfection! The settee and chairs turned out just lvoely! And I CANNOT wait to see that "german smeared" technique on your fireplace! I know you've been wanting to tone down the natural brick for a while now. I'm sure it's lovely so do share soon! :)

It's me said...

It all is so beautiful ..Susan !!!...enjoy this time of the year....love from me Ria x ❤️

chateau chic said...

Your dining room is enchanting, Susan. Beautiful job on the settee, I'm loving your knitted "tree skirt", and your shelves are full of wonderful pretties!
Mary Alice

mackyton said...

I just love celebrating Christmas at home and I do that every year but this year my guest list got little extended and that is why I had to hire local party venues Chicago. But I am glad they provided me good services and it was just like a party at home.

Unknown said...

Nice design of the chairs and There is a more designer chairs are there in DWR Coupon and Cymax Coupon

وليد العروي said...

مكنسة تنظيف سجاد
شركات تنظيف سجاد

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...