Sunday, August 13, 2017

Updates in the Kitchen

Friends, it's been so long since I blogged!  My apologies.  No excuses here....just life.  We are winding down summer vacation before homeschool begins again, so of course I'm attempting to squeeze in multiple house projects while I have the time.
I'm working my way through a project list, and the kitchen is my current focus.
You may recall the kitchen from previous blog posts and a feature in Romantic Country magazine.  I think this photo from Mark Lohmann is one of my favorites:



This area of the kitchen hasn't changed much, but I am trying to sell the chairs (and a bistro table) on craigslist, while looking for a primitive wood bench to use for seating.

I haven't ever shared the stove area of our kitchen before, because, well, it's boring.
As you can see below, there was an original narrow built-in at the wall which I believe housed a pull-out ironing board.  (We found the cupboard door for this built-in in our basement).  Love those 1939 features.

Along the way, someone had installed these tiny shelf holders inside.  We decided to have glass cut for little display shelves.  Here's an older photo (circa 2012):

Cute, but not all that useful and the glass shelves & glasses always got dirty being so close to the ventless stove.

My recent idea was to turn this built-in into a plate rack, at least on the upper shelves.  So I grabbed one of my favorite books "A Touch of Farmhouse Charm" by Liz Fourez and used her tutorial for a plate rack as inspiration.

I bought some 1 x 3" boards for 3 shelves ...


... and also these flat trim pieces. It doesn't hurt to use a cute pencil for measurements:


Next I painted all the wood pieces white and nailed the trim in place.  Just a tip - it helps to use tiny finishing nails for this, since the wood trim is so light and thin. I tried a bigger nail and the wood started to split:

I touched up the white paint, and here's my new plate rack!

I could have removed the other tiny shelf holders, but that would have been tough and would force me to do more touch-up and painting.  They don't bother me enough (wink).
 
Now I've got another place to showcase my vintage plates and platters - yay!


Thanks for visiting, friends.  I try to post more on Instagram these days, but blogging is better to describe more in-depth projects.
Enjoy the rest of summer!

 

5 comments:

Nana Diana said...

That was a good way to use that old ironing board niche. My daughter had one in her house, too, but left the door on and made it into a spice cabinet. It was just the perfect size and nothing got pushed to the back and 'lost'. Your kitchen is just lovely. Good luck selling your chairs and bistro table. xo Diana

Blondie's Journal said...

Wherever you've been or what you've been doing, its great to see you back. I love your home and your kitchen is wonderful. The plate rack is so cool and inspiring. Best of luck with your table and chairs!

Jane x

Junkchiccottage said...

Well hello!!! Glad to see your post today. Your kitchen is super sweet. I love that kitchen table. Awesome.
Good luck with selling your table and chairs. Love the plate rack too.
xoxo
Kris

Nina jo said...

Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.bloom tattoos

Nina jo said...

This is an awesome post, i got very interesting post over here, I want to thank you for your effort. Your site is great. bloom tattoos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...